Experimental Lambda-based Scaler 🦑

The latest version of the stack, v4.3.1, introduces a EnableExperimentalLambdaBasedAutoscaling parameter, which when set to true will disable the default Amazon AutoScaling powered scaling behaviour in favour of a Lambda that handles the scale-out. Due to a combination of avoiding the intrinsic wait-times for native autoscaling and a much faster polling rate, the stack scales much, much faster up from zero to whatever capacity you need. We are seeing wait time reduction on builds with cold stacks of up to 50%.

Scale down is handled with the new --disconnect-after-idle-timeout flag that was added to the agent in v3.10.0. After the agent has been idle for a while (configured with ScaleDownPeriod), it disconnects and then terminates the instance and decrements the autoscaling group desired count atomically.

The result is a much, much faster scale out and a much simpler scale-in process that no longer requires lifecycled.

We’d love to hear how it works for your stacks and what issues you encounter. The plan is to make this the default for v5.0.0.

FAQ

Why not handle scale-in with the lambda too?

We tried! For some unknown reason, ASG’s don’t fire lifecycle hooks when scaling in via directly setting DesiredCount. They do however fire them when terminating an instance with TerminateInstanceInAutoScalingGroup. We were perplexed too.

What about the other scaling configuration options?

With the new autoscaler enabled, the following options are respected:

• MinSize
  • MaxSize
  • ScaleDownPeriod
  • InstanceCreationTimeout

Conversely, the following options are completely ignored:

• ScaleUpAdjustment
  • ScaleDownAdjustment
  • ScaleCooldownPeriod

We might consider implementing ScaleUpAdjustment if there is interest, it could provide a min-bound for scale up.

How about all the metrics the stack used to publish?

With the new scaling enabled, we disable the old buildkite-agent-metrics lambda in favour of a smaller, nimbler all-in-one lambda that collects metrics and does the scaling. Whilst we do also publish ScheduledJobsCount and RunningJobsCount, that’s all. You can still run buildkite-agent-metrics directly, it works nicely without a queue so you can have one lambda power a whole organization of metrics.

Let us know if there are any metrics you really miss and we’ll consider adding them back.

Is anything broken?

I think I might have broken BuildkiteTerminateInstanceAfterJob :thinking:

Help! My instances occasionally are very slow!

If you are using an instance type that has burstable CPU credits, you might be running into this: https://serverfault.com/questions/740498/why-do-ec2-t2-instances-sometimes-start-with-zero-cpu-credits

You can avoid cycling instances so often by using a much longer ScaleDownPeriod.

Why won’t my ASG’s provision more than 10 instances at a time?

Turns out there is a hidden setting on ASG’s that limit increases to batches of 10. If you email AWS support they will change this for you.

2 Likes

I’ve been using this scaler for a couple of weeks now and I really like the decrease in allocation time for build instances, we’ve seen a decrease from about 3.5 mins to 1.5 mins (qualitative assessment, I didn’t actually go back and measure too carefully). However, our build times are not decreasing because it doesn’t respect the ScaleUpAdjustment. Our builds generally follow a fan out/in approach where we build a docker image then run multiple tests on it simultaneously. Previously we’d wait 3.5+ minutes for the first set of images to become available but then tests would immediately have an agent available for running as soon as the build finished. Now, only a single agent is scheduled for the build phase but we also have to wait on agents in the test phase as well, so the net effect is about the same overall. It would be really useful for us if you implemented ScaleUpAdjustment.

Thanks for all the great work!

1 Like

Good idea, I’ve got a PR up at https://github.com/buildkite/buildkite-agent-scaler/pull/12. Feedback welcome.

We’ve seen some behaviour where MinSize doesn’t look like it’s being respected. Had it set to ‘8’ in the stack, yet all our build agent instances were terminated. Suggestions as to how to debug?

Which stack version or autoscaler version?

Hah, sorry!
I’ve just had a conversation with our contractor-ops person and turns out they were trying something out and had terminated all the instances manually!

No bugs to see here!

No problems! Glad it’s all working!

FYI: it is possible to invoke the scaler lambda more frequently than once per minute which is the fastest you can do with a CloudWatch trigger, or by keeping the lambda running, by utilizing a step function.

flowchart

I’ve implemented this for our scaler and it works like a charm:

1 Like

Yeah, I opted for running the function for longer in the new autoscaler. It seemed simpler than step functions.

Have you seen any behavior where:

1. A MinSize is set (i.e. 1)
  2. An idling agent exits and its host is removed from ASG causing the desired size (0) < min size (1)
  3. A new machine is created to fill the gap.

So machines keep being shut down (because of idle agents) and spinning up.

@phan.le sorry, we haven’t — the agent shouldn’t exit by itself when idle, only if you ask it to (or it gets scaled in by AWS). Want to send us a message through to support@buildkite.com with the specifics of your case?

Edit: unless you’re using --disconnect-after-idle-timeout? In which case the idle timeout and the min size might be fighting!

Yeah, apologies @phan.le, this is unfortunately something that is very hard to do with the lambda scaler. Maintaining a minimum set of agents is really hard as they terminate when idle and can’t co-ordinate with each other to keep at least N running.

I’d recommend that you use a much longer disconnect after idle timeout for now!

Got it, thanks for responding!

The reason we want to keep a small minimum of agents is to reduce latency when a commit is pushed.