Fail if an artifact doesn't exist on upload

Is there a way to ensure artifacts exists before giving a success to the step? I’d like to avoid [[ -f ARTIFACT ]] checks in the commands area.

We’re doing a tar of a build directory and sometimes that doesn’t work properly. We’d like to avoid it proceeding on if that fails.

Good question! The buildkite-agent artifact download command will through an error if there was no artifact found. Are you not finding that to be the case?

That’s too late in the process for us. Need it to fail immediately on the step that attempts the upload

Oh, I didn’t realize you were referring to artifact uploads. Sorry, I thought you meant downloads.

Are you using the buildkite-agent artifact upload command, or using the artifact_paths in the step’s configuration?

Apologies, you’re absolutely right about that not being clear.

Currently, we’re using artifact_paths: "build.tar.gz"

Thanks! That makes sense.

I don’t think we’d make a change with the currently pipeline.yml syntax to have it fail the job, because too many people rely on the current behaviour as a grab bag of glob patterns that don’t affect the job status.

But if we update the artifact upload/download syntax in a future version of the pipeline.yml format, we’ll take this into account!