Matrix feature improvements

I’ve been trying out the matrix feature and like it, but there are a few things that could be improved to make it a lot more robust:

1. Allow interpolation of {{matrix}} in the env section
    We’ve have to work around this by doing command: env FOO={{matrix}} /path/to/my/command

2. Allow more than 20 matrix items
    Our work around is to create 2 steps to split bigger lists. But that requires copy pasting and doesn’t seem necessary.

I’ve found a few bugs along the way:

• Clicking Retry on any step generated via the matrix will retry the whole matrix. It should only retry a single step, or at least I think this would make more sense.
  • You can’t specify any env block if you have a matrix (even without interpolation). This produces 500s from your API.

Hey @jeromegn!

Welcome to the community! :blush:

Thank you for all your feedback!. We’ll share your comments with our product team :slight_smile:

Best!

It also doesn’t appear to work with the key or the agents block either. Unfortunately i can’t figure out a way to work around this.

Hi @simonbyrne,

Currently interpolation of the matrix values into command step attributes such as environment variables, labels and commands is supported so for attributes such as key or agents block it is not currently supported.

I will share this feedback with our product team :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you