ecr#v1.1.4:
    login: true
    account_ids: "436617320022"
    no-include-email: true
  docker#v2.0.0:
    image: "436617320022.dkr.ecr.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ci:centos"
    workdir: /data/job
    timeout: 120

Running plugin github.com/buildkite-plugins/ecr-buildkite-plugin#v1.1.4 pre-command hook 0s
Authenticating with AWS ECR to 436617320022 5s
WARNING! Using --password via the CLI is insecure. Use --password-stdin.
Login Succeeded
# AWS_DEFAULT_REGION changed
Running plugin github.com/buildkite-plugins/docker-buildkite-plugin#v2.0.0 command hook 0s
docker Running /bin/sh -e -c 'echo “+++ :hammer: Building” && \ 1s
echo 1 ./build.sh &&
echo “— Compressing build directory :compression:” &&
tar -pczf build.tar.gz build/
’ in 436617320022.dkr.ecr.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ci:centos
Unable to find image ‘436617320022.dkr.ecr.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ci:centos’ locally
docker: Error response from daemon: Get https://436617320022.dkr.ecr.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/v2/ci/manifests/centos: no basic auth credentials.
See ‘docker run --help’.
:rotating_light: Error: The command exited with status 125

I’m curious if someone knows why a successful login with the ECR plugin still causes the docker command to fail?

Tried 2.1.0, still no difference.

Running plugin github.com/buildkite-plugins/docker-buildkite-plugin#v2.1.0 command hook 0s
/var/lib/buildkite-agent/plugins/github-com-buildkite-plugins-docker-buildkite-plugin-v2-1-0/hooks/command 🔨 Enabling debug mode 0s docker Running /bin/sh -e -c 'echo "+++ 🔨 Building" && \ 1s echo 1 ./build.sh && \ echo "--- Compressing build directory :compression:" && \ tar -pczf build.tar.gz build/ ' in 436617320022.dkr.ecr.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ci:centos docker run -it --rm --volume /var/lib/buildkite-agent/builds/automation-builder-fleet/EOSIO/eosio-dot-cdt-dot-testing:/data/job --workdir /data/job --env BUILDKITE_JOB_ID --env BUILDKITE_BUILD_ID --env BUILDKITE_AGENT_ACCESS_TOKEN --volume /usr/bin/buildkite-agent:/usr/bin/buildkite-agent 436617320022.dkr.ecr.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ci:centos /bin/sh -e -c echo “+++ :hammer: Building” &&
echo 1 ./build.sh &&
echo “— Compressing build directory :compression:” &&
tar -pczf build.tar.gz build/
Unable to find image ‘436617320022.dkr.ecr.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ci:centos’ locally
docker: Error response from daemon: Get https://436617320022.dkr.ecr.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/v2/ci/manifests/centos: no basic auth credentials.
See ‘docker run --help’.
:rotating_light: Error: The command exited with status 1

That’s a tricky one! There can be a few causes. Let’s see if we can narrow it down!

First up, when you have plugins that depend on ordering, it’s a good idea to use a list for plugins vs a map. It’s rare, but there can be ordering issues with maps as yaml doesn’t guarantee enumeration order. Beyond that, the other possibility is that the ECR login is happening in a region other than us-west-2, which would explain the issue. Do you know what region your agent instance is in?

Perhaps you could try:

plugins:
  - ecr#v1.1.4:
      account_ids: "436617320022"
      region: us-west-2
  - docker#v2.0.0:
      image: "436617320022.dkr.ecr.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ci:centos"
      timeout: 120

Turns out it was the region that was the issue. However, the - before the plugins seems to have broken it, throwing:Error: Failed to parse plugin definition: Configuration for "github.com/buildkite-plugins/login-buildkite-plugin" is not a hash

All set, thanks for the help!

That’s odd, I wonder if perhaps the indenting didn’t come through correctly? The dashes are very important for ordering, otherwise you might login after your docker command!

I’m seeing 100% of runs so far order things properly, without dashes. I’ll keep an eye out on the runs and look for it mixing them up.

Yup, it’s deterministically unordered! Up to you, but I promise it’s a convention that will eventually lead to very confusing ordering issues.

Hey Lox, wanted to follow up on this. So far all of the pipelines are choosing the proper order for plugins using:

plugins:
  ecr#v1.1.4:
    account_ids: "123"
    region: "us-west-2"
  docker#v2.1.0:
    debug: false
    image: "123.dkr.ecr.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ci:centos7"

Is this a problem with the version of buildkite we’re using? We’re using v3.7.0. Wonder if you have any ideas why I can’t use a list ( - before docker and ecr lines) without it failing. Thanks!

When I use this pipeline yaml:

steps:
  - label: "test"
    command: echo hello world
    plugins:
    - ecr#v1.1.4:
        account_ids: "123"
        region: "us-west-2"
    - docker#v2.1.0:
        debug: false
        image: "123.dkr.ecr.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ci:centos7"

And run it with buildkite-agent pipeline upload --dry-run test.yml, I get the following parse output:

{
  "steps": [
    {
      "label": "test",
      "command": "echo hello world",
      "plugins": [
        {
          "ecr#v1.1.4": {
            "login": true,
            "account_ids": "123",
            "no-include-email": true,
            "region": "us-west-2"
          }
        },
        {
          "docker#v2.1.0": {
            "debug": false,
            "image": "123.dkr.ecr.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ci:centos7",
            "workdir": "/data/job"
          }
        }
      ]
    }
  ]
}

That all looks right to me! Are you able to replicate those results?

buildkite-agent version 3.7.0, build 2659

Odd, I still can’t get the plugins in a yaml list to work. I originally thought it might be that I’ve got - command: and no label. But adding a `- label: “test” and then command on the next line doesn’t change it.

Are you able to post the output from buildkite-agent pipeline upload --dry-run @nathan.pierce?