Soft fail steps should have different visual representation

We sometimes introduce a new CI check that we want to experiment with and therefore mark it as Soft Fail. This usually causes a bunch of confusion for engineers because they’ll see a red step and assume that their build failed. For those who aren’t BK savvy, it’s not very obvious that the step is marked as soft fail. I think it would be nice to have soft fail steps be represented differently. Either just hide them or make them not red. Or clearly indicate somewhere that “this doesn’t affect your build.”

This comes up for basically every new team member who has to ask how the build is green for their branch when they have failures, we would really like this to be more clear.

1 Like

This is definitely a very common source of confusion, and it’d be great if the soft fail indicator was a “gentler” colour at the very least

+1 to this, I just got confused by this.

I think my ideal solution would be some sort of candy-cane look

or, at the very least, a mouse-over tooltip “soft fail” if you mouse over the build step?

We thoroughly agree that it’s not ideal! And, as it happens, we are currently working on a usability update to make this more obvious, and help making build failures more obvious and actionable. Stay tuned!

Glad to hear, thanks!

Thanks for the update, @sj26 ! Do you know if this is still on the roadmap / backlog at all?

It shipped! This is how it looks today:

1 Like

Ah, I did notice that there were differences! Thanks for the quick reply. If the team is open to feedback, I’m still not sure this is clear enough, especially if there are only soft fails in the build. Granted, it may just take some getting used to :slight_smile:

A couple of suggestions for future enhancements to possibly reduce confusion:

• Warning color vs “danger” or “error”. Yellow/Mustards are common
  • No background, just border and icon.

Hi @emerson :wave:

Welcome to the community!

Thank you for this feedback! We’ll pass this along to the team :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Lizette

1 Like