Error: No command has been provided

Hello. I’m getting an “Error: no command has been provided” and I was wondering if I’m doing something obvious wrong.

I’m trying to set up a docker build, I have the following in my .buildkite/pipeline.yml:

steps:
  - name: ":docker: Build server"
    plugins:
      buildkite/docker-compose#v2.5.1:
        build: server

- wait

- name: ":node:"
    command: cd server && npm run test
    plugins:
      - docker-compose#v2.5.1:
          run: server

Sorry about the late reply to this one @bak!

I can’t see anything obviously wrong I’m afraid… Is there perhaps a rogue step defined somewhere else that’s breaking? i.e. does your pipeline setup on Buildkite look something like this?

(Where “New Step” at the top is actually a blank step without a command, that could cause the issue you’re seeing).

Or are you getting that error message from one of those Docker steps you’ve defined?

@bak :wave: (sorry for the late follow-up on this) how did you go in the end? Did you figure out what the problem was?

Hi! Was this ever seen again? I’m getting the same thing for a pre-command hook on a new pipeline.

Update: This came out as a result of having an empty step in my pipeline - it wasn’t abundantly clear that the empty step was here by default, as I followed to docs and added the “upload from git repo” step immediately after.