Allow annotations to be attached to a particular job

Our developers (new to buildkite UI) are getting confused about how to find failure causes in the logs. We are working on cleaning up the logs, but also starting to use annotations to surface the info in a more easy-to-see place. However, the fact that annotations for all steps show up at the top makes it harder to discover.

Example: When unit tests fail, it would be nice if unit test results & useful links could show up next to the unit test job.

This could be a perfect stop-gap that could tide me over in lieu of the more expansive thing I’ve described here: ExternalCommand job step for Asynchronous operations (GitOps/Kube use case)

Having annotations displayed in context to a specific job would be a UX winner for me!

This specific UX problem is probably the single largest contributor to our current support burden. No one scrolls up to look for annotations and even if they did they lose context in doing so. Surprised this does not have more attention.

Hello, @mndevel! Welcome to the community!
Let me look into this and get back to you ASAP.
Thanks!

Karen

1 Like

Hi!

The current thinking is that the most recently generated annotation is likely the most relevant and actionable, so it should be at the top. But it’s true that this is not ideal, and we’re exploring ways to offer more context within a build and more tools to present and interpret that information. It’s in our backlog but we don’t have any timeframe at the moment.

Best!

I’m surprised that is the thinking. If you are filling out a long web form, would you expect all your errors to be bunched at the top of the page, potentially hidden above the fold if you’ve scrolled down? Or would you expect errors next to the field that has the error?

most relevant and actionable, so it should be at the top

By this logic I would expect the most recent/currently processing step in the pipeline to be at the top of the page not the bottom, but that is not the case.

Anyway, thanks, we will figure out some sort of workaround in the meantime.

1 Like